Hello from the outside 🌞🎶
Trying to get all your outside activities squeezed into the summertime is always difficult. But, as Adele sings, at least we can say that we’ve tried! This summer flew by. (I’m still trying to convince myself we’re at the end of August.) Anyway, here’s some digital marketing gossip in between your summertime activities.
- Google has started rolling out its “helpful content” algorithm update. This update is intended to reward content that is written for humans first, not for search engines. Here are the ways they are defining helpful content for humans:
- It’s created for a specific audience.
- It features expertise.
- It’s trustworthy and credible.
- It meets the want(s) or need(s) of the searcher.
It’s going to be a few weeks before the impact of this update is determined. If you’ve been following SEO white-hat best practices in providing relevant content, then we say there’s no reason to panic.
- The Outlook on Outlook: Microsoft is putting ads into Outlook mobile for free users. Besides the initial bad reaction, are you feeling a bit of déjà vu from Gmail ads?
- As Google Ads image extensions are becoming more widely used, let’s all review the policies. Here are some of the important rules and tips!
- No text/graphic overlay (no logos, unfortunately 🙁)
- No distorted images (upside down, funky filters)
- No poorly cropped images (that’s right, Google can tell a bad angle or not!) 📸
- For more on image extensions, check out this WordStream article!
Do Good Spotlight
🌟 The Nature Conservancy 🌟
The Nature Conservancy is a global environmental nonprofit creating a world where people and nature thrive. Founded in the U.S. through grassroots action in 1951, The Nature Conservancy (TNC) has become one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. DBE donated to support this high-rated not-for-profit, and we encourage you to see if you’d like to support them too: https://www.nature.org/en-us/
- “Where is the Media ‘Talent Crisis’ Greatest?” is the question Marketing Charts answers with data from a World Federation of Advertisers and MediaSense survey. The answer? The highest scarcity of talent is in the area of data and analytics, while almost half (46%) of media industry stakeholders feel the industry is having its “worst ever talent crisis”.
- Need professional video for your storytelling projects? 🎥 We recommend you take a look at our strategic partner, Down the Road Productions. They’re based in Ohio with their owner fresh from years of top-tier work in NYC. If you’re looking for a video partner, check them out at DTRP.co and you can learn more about owner/director/producer, Andrew Anthony.
- Looking for a chuckle? Check out these humorous ads! Warning: this has some adult content (rated PG-13ish).
Wishing you a happy, healthy September!
Until next time…
Why don’t oysters share their pearls? 🦪
Because they’re shellfish!
Don’t be an oyster, share us with your friends!