Hello from the outside 🌞🎶
Trying to get all your outside activities squeezed into the summertime is always difficult. But, as Adele sings, at least we can say that we’ve tried! This summer flew by. (I’m still trying to convince myself we’re at the end of August.) Anyway, here’s some digital marketing gossip in between your summertime activities.
- Google has started rolling out its “helpful content” algorithm update. This update is intended to reward content that is written for humans first, not for search engines. Here are the ways they are defining helpful content for humans:
- It’s created for a specific audience.
- It features expertise.
- It’s trustworthy and credible.
- It meets the want(s) or need(s) of the searcher.
It’s going to be a few weeks before the impact of this update is determined. If you’ve been following SEO white-hat best practices in providing relevant content, then we say there’s no reason to panic.
- The Outlook on Outlook: Microsoft is putting ads into Outlook mobile for free users. Besides the initial bad reaction, are you feeling a bit of déjà vu from Gmail ads?
- As Google Ads image extensions are becoming more widely used, let’s all review the policies. Here are some of the important rules and tips!
- No text/graphic overlay (no logos, unfortunately 🙁)
- No distorted images (upside down, funky filters)
- No poorly cropped images (that’s right, Google can tell a bad angle or not!) 📸
- For more on image extensions, check out this WordStream article!